Plant-tc Monthly Archive - March 1997

Ref's for colchicine alternatives

To all who are interested in references to
colchicine alternatives, here they are the
ones I have:

Wan et al (1991) TAG 81: 205-211

Wan et al (1995)  Plant Breeding
114:253-255.

Verhoeven et al (1990) Planta 182:408-414

Morejohn et al (1987) Planta 172:252-264

Sree Ramulu et al (1991) Protoplasma
160:65-71

van Tuyl et al  (poster from the VIth
International Symposium on flowerbulbs
May12-15 1992; Skierniewice)  The use of
oryzalin as an alternative for colchicine in
in vitro chromosome doubling of Lilium and
Nerine.

I used oryzalin (Surflan) at 0.001% and
0.01% both with 2% DMSO and got much
mortality on the barley haploids and no
doubling!  I made up the solutions just by
diluting in water +2% DMSO (as I would use
for colchicine), but I've had a message from
Andre Comeau who says that the solubility
may be a problem; also that oryzalin seems
to adhere strongly to glassware .  I
certainly noticed that quite a residue
settles out of the 'solution' but the effect
on chromosome  contraction was still very
effective.

Richard Pickering
Crop & Food Research
Private Bag 4704
Christchurch
New Zealand

phone  0064 3 3256400
fax    0064 3 3252074
email  pickeringr@crop.cri.nz

Plant-tc Listserv Homepage | Subject Index | Thread Index