Plant-tc Monthly Archive - February 2002

Re: nutrient solution recipes

Here is the recipe for Hoagland's solution that I have been using:

Make up the following Stock solutions:

1. Ca(NO3)2.4H2O        236.1 g/l
2. KNO3                 101.1 g/l
3. KH2PO4               136.1 g/l
4. MgSO4.7H2O           246.5 g/l
5. Trace elements (make up to 1 L)
H3BO3           2.8 g
MnCl2.4H2O      1.8 g
ZnSO4.7H2O      0.2 g
CuSO4.5H2O      0.1 g
NaMoO4  0.025 g
6. FeEDTA -
10.4 g EDTA.2Na
7.8  g FeSO4.7H2O
56.1 g KOH

Make up 1 L of KOH, adjust pH to ~5.5 using H2SO4. Then add EDTA.2Na and
FeSO4.7H2O.

To make 1 L Hoagland's solution from these stocks, add
7 ml Ca(NO3)2 stock
5 ml KNO3
2ml KH2PO4
2 ml MgSO4